We often divide things into ‘old days’ and ‘modern things’ to simplify historical events when we try to put them in perspective. The human’s brain can often struggle with the concept of time, so it makes it easier for us to perceive it that way. However, what happens when things that you consider to be in the modern world, actually turn out to be much older than you think?
It messes with our minds and forces us to reassess the way we perceive history. We have compiled a list of historical events that will change the way you look at the past, so make sure to scroll down and see what we’re talking about!
1. America’s 10-th President, John Tyler, was born in 1790. He has two living grandchildren!
2. Queen Elizabeth and Marilyn Monroe were born in the same year. In the photo below, they are both 30 at the time! (1956)
3. Woolly Mammoths were still alive while the Egyptians were building the pyramids (2660 BCE)
4. Harriet the Tortoise (died in 2006) had seen Charles Darwin in person!
Harriet was reportedly collected by Charles Darwin himself during his 1835 visit to the Galapagos Island.
5. Oxford University existed long before the Aztec Empire was founded in 1428.
6. Nintendo was founded while Jack the R!pper was still on the loose in 1889.
The famous Japanese gaming company, associated with video game legends such as Mario, Zelda, and the Pokemon characters, was originally a company for playing cards called hanafuda. It was founded in 1889, while the infamous Jack the R!pper was creating havoc on the London streets.
7. The oldest living tree today (A Bristlecone Pine) was already 1,000 years old when the last Mammoth had died.
8. The first Star Wars movie came out the same year as the last Guillotine Execution in France.