20 Genius Uses For Dish Soap That Prove It’s Good For Way More Than Cleaning Cookware
Dawn dish soap is a household staple that many use to fight grease and stubborn food remnants on dishes. It’s number one because it cleans like no other while keeping our hands moisturized and protected.
But did you know that you can use it for more than last night’s spaghetti plate? If you have a bottle of the stuff close by you might want to grab it and get squirting because DIY enthusiasts have found 20 absolutely bizarre ways to use the soap that are pretty darn inspired…
1. Stop a bug infestation: If bugs have infiltrated your home just add a few drops of Dawn to a spray bottle and treat the infested areas weekly. The soap will dry out insects, but be careful of what plants you spray.
2. De-fog a pair of glasses: Rub a couple small drops of Dawn on both sides of your lenses. Once dry, use a clean cloth to buff it off. The soap will leave a transparent, fog-fighting layer on your glasses.
@jennalagarde / instagram
3. Makeshift ice pack: Fill a sandwich bag half-way with Dawn and freeze it for a couple of hours. The soap will stay cold and keep a gel-like consistency for a flexible fit.
4. Remove gasoline stains: That pretty oil rainbow isn’t pretty anymore when it stains your driveway. Try treating it with Dawn. The soap will emulsify the oil and lift it from the driveway.
5. Shampoo substitute: There is a reason why animal organizations grab Dawn to clean up their rescue critters. Be careful, it’s a super grease fighter, so don’t use it daily or it could dry out your hair.
6. DIY bubbles: Having your kid’s birthday party but don’t want to buy 30 bottles of bubbles? Mix a half cup of Dawn, a half gallon of warm water, and one tablespoon of glycerin.
7. Stain remover: Ever drip pizza grease all over your shirt? Just dab some Dawn on the stain and scrub with a small toothbrush. The stain will come right out! Just wash it and it’s good as new.
8. Poison ivy blocker: Mix two tablespoons of Dawn, one gallon of white vinegar, and one cup of salt. Spray the plants and watch them wither. Already have a rash? Spray directly on your skin and watch the healing start!
9. Remove paint from skin: Trying to remove wall paint from your skin is next to impossible. Massaging a few drops of Dawn and a few drops of corn oil onto the painted skin will easily and painlessly remove the paint.
10. Shower cleaner: Mix one and a half cups of Dawn to one and a half cups of white vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray the shower and let it sit for 30 minutes, then just wipe away the mold and mildew buildup.
11. Unclog the toilet: Pour one cup of Dawn into the bowl and leave it for 15 minutes. The soap acts as a lubricant and will remove any gunk inside the pipes. Then chase it with hot (not boiling) water and voila!
12. De-grease a pool: Pour a small amount of Dawn in the center of the pool and this will repel the sunscreen and hair oils to the outer edges. Bonus: It also kills those pesky water bugs.
13. Remove rust: All you need to clean an old, rusty tool is a potato and Dawn. Cut the potato in half and dip it in dish soap. Then rub the lathered potato onto the problem area until the rust is gone.
14. Window cleaner: Make a mixture of three drops of Dawn to one gallon of water. Pour into a spray bottle and apply to your glass surface. Dry with a microfiber cloth to ensure a streak-free finish.
15. Manicure prep: Before you paint your nails at home, fill a small bowl with some Dawn. Soak your nails for a few minutes. The Dawn will soften the cuticles and remove all natural oils and dirt for a smooth polish.
One good thing
16. Pet pampering: Wash your pet, their carrier, and their toys to keep fleas and bacteria away from your furry pal. For those difficult litter boxes, mix water, Dawn, and white vinegar for a deep clean.
17. De-ice sidewalks: The worst way to start your day is to let your bum fall victim to an icy sidewalk. Mix one teaspoon of Dawn, one tablespoon of rubbing alcohol, and one gallon of hot water. This will melt the ice and prevent future freezing.
18. Lubricant: Dawn can fix any squeaky or stuck hinge and it’s safer than any chemical aerosol spray. Massage a drop or two of dish soap to the hinge. Plus, the soap will act as a cleaning agent.
Sliding door repair
19. Makeup brush cleaner: Just mix coconut oil with a couple drops of Dawn and massage into your bristles. This will remove the oil and makeup, while the coconut oil conditions the brush so it stays feeling new.
20. Car upholstery cleaner: Trying to get a mystery stain out of car seating is frustrating and difficult. Just use Dawn, white vinegar, and club soda to remove any old stain. You can also wash your exterior with Dawn.
Dawn already saves your casserole pan when you accidentally burn it, but now Dawn can solve 20 more of your problems while saving you tons of money.
Share these cheap ways to use Dawn dish soap with your friends below!