Warner Bros. has dropped the first official trailer for the highly anticipated sci-fi epic sequel “Dune: Part 2.”
In 2021’s “Dune,” Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet) ventured to Arrakis, the universe’s most dangerous and sandiest planet, to ensure his family and people’s future as evil forces exploded in conflict. The Denis Villeneuve drama, based on Frank Herbert’s novel, was nominated for 10 Academy Awards and won six.
More from Variety
- Austin Butler Goes Bald and Shaves Off His Eyebrows in ‘Dune 2’ First Look: Meet the ‘Cruel’ and ‘Narcissistic’ Feyd-Rautha
- ‘Dune: Part Two’ Debuts Breathtaking Trailer: Timothée Chalamet Rides Giant Sandworm, Assumes Rightful Role as Fremen Leader
- ‘Wonka’ Trailer Reveals Timothée Chalamet’s Musical Take on Mystical Chocolatier and Hugh Grant as Singing Oompa-Loompa
In the sequel, Atreides teams up with Chani (Zendaya) and the Fremen to exact revenge on those who destroyed his family, and he must juggle his love life with the fate of the universe at stake. The trailer shows Paul riding the back of a massive sand worm on the deserts of Arrakis while Chani and the Fremen cheer him on. There are also first looks at a bald Austin Butler as Feyd Rautha Harkonnen, the nephew of Stellan Skarsgard’s Baron Harkonnen, and Florence Pugh’s Princess Irulen, the daughter of Christopher Walken’s Emperor Shaddam IV. The trailer also teases an upcoming war, with Paul, now with blue eyes caused by consuming the Fremen’s mystical spice drug, commanding a massive army.
“In the first movie, Paul Atreides is a student…we really see Paul Atreides become a leader here,” Chalamet said at CinemaCon last week, where “Dune: Part 2” was first unveiled to attendees.
“Dune: Part 2” also introduces newcomers Léa Seydoux as Lady Margot, a Bene Gesserit, Souheila Yacoub as a Fremen warrior and Tim Blake Nelson. Returning to the cast alongside Chalamet and Zendaya are Rebecca Ferguson, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Charlotte Rampling and Stephen McKinley Henderson. Villeneuve directed the sequel and penned it with Jon Spaihts.
Chalamet reunited with “Little Women” co-star Pugh in “Dune: Part 2.” He previously told Variety of his co-stars, “Florence is really special. She’s an incredible actor. She was incredible in ‘Dune’ — seriously incredible. She brought a gravitas to the role. And I can’t believe my good fortune at this young age…between Taylor Russell in ‘Bones and All’ and Zendaya in ‘Dune.’ And Austin Butler’s in that movie too.”
“Dune: Part 2” will hit theaters Nov. 3. Check out the trailer below.
Best of Variety
- Tony Predictions: Best Musical — Four Stand Poised to Give ‘Kimberly Akimbo’ Some Competition
- This ‘Fast and Furious’ Arcade Cabinet Allows You to Step Behind the Wheel as Dom Toretto
- From ‘The Shards’ to ‘Daisy Jones & The Six’: Books Made Into Movies and TV Series That You Should Read
Sign up for Variety’s Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.