Peacock is taking a satirical approach to the true crime genre in its latest offering, Based on a True Story.
The series — from executive producer and writer Craig Rosenberg and Aggregate Films executive producers Jason Bateman and Michael Costigan — is set to premiere in June, the streamer announced on Tuesday. Peacock also released several first-look images.
More from Deadline
- ‘Sex In The Dark’: Peacock Developing Raunchy Social Experiment Format From ‘Clarkson’s Farm’ Producer Expectation
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ Star Victoria Grace Withdraws From Daytime Emmys Nominations After “Huge Misunderstanding” Regarding The Rules
- Kate Berlant And John Early Reveal True Inspirations Behind ‘Would It Kill You To Laugh?’ – Contenders TV: Docs + Unscripted
The eight-episode series follows a realtor, a former tennis star and a plumber who seize a unique opportunity to capitalize on America’s obsession with true crime.
Kaley Cuoco stars as ‘Ava Bartlett,’ alongside Chris Messina and Tom Bateman. The cast also includes Priscilla Quintana, Liana Liberato, Natalia Dyer, Alex Alomar Akpobome, Aisha Alfa, Annabelle Dexter-Jones, Li Jun Li. Peacock also released first-look images for the series, which can be viewed below.
In a statement Tuesday, Rosenberg said:
“Over the last decade, a true crime phenomenon has swept over America. Podcasts, documentaries, fictional shows based on true stories – they dominate the culture. Murderers have become celebrities and celebrities have become murderers which inspired me to create this show.
“I became fascinated with the idea of a relatable married couple whose youthful dreams hadn’t come to fruition and who saw the true crime tidal wave as an opportunity to change their lives and save their marriage. Our Los Angeles setting – the city where everybody wants to be famous – became a vivid backdrop to our story of fame, ambition, aspiration and murder.
“Please sit back and join Ava and Nathan as they try to navigate the dangerous proposal they make.”
In addition to Rosenberg, Bateman and Costigan, Based on a True Story is also executive produced by Alex Buono, who directs episodes one and eight. Roxie Rodriguez (Aggregate Films) and Melissa Blake co-executive produce. The series hails from UCP, a division of Universal Studio Group.
All eight episodes of Based on a True Story will stream June 8 on Peacock.
Best of Deadline
- 2023 Premiere Dates For New & Returning Series On Broadcast, Cable & Streaming
- WGA Strike Picket Line Locations List And Times Set For Los Angeles & New York
- WGA Strike Explained: The Issues, The Stakes, Movies & TV Shows Affected — And How Long The 2023 Work Stoppage Might Last
Sign up for Deadline’s Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.