Unusual Elements Of Prince Harry’s Relationship With Meghan Markle That People Are Noticing
When it comes to royal romances, you might like to imagine the pinnacle of love: moonlit walks along rose petal-strewn walkways, sweet nothings whispered into waiting ears, and gallant horse-drawn carriage rides across royal grounds.
But of course, princes and princesses are real people, too. As such, their relationships come with all the strange elements and mysteries that define every romance. Take Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, for instance. Their impending nuptials may seem like a fairy tale for the ages, but just like with all relationships, there’s some odd and quirky stuff behind the scenes you probably didn’t know about.
2. They didn’t beat around the bush when it came to engagement: In a world of drawn-out engagements, a year-and-a-half may seem like a brief time to date before making it official. Still, when it comes to royalty, you’d sort of expect the courting process might take a long time. But hey—love is bound by no timeline!
3. They wanted the press to stay far, far away: In 2016, when things between the prince and Suits star were still under wraps, they asked the press to stay away—and who can blame them? Harry even had his communication secretary release a plea for privacy.
4. Meghan quit her day job: Rumor has it that Meghan wanted to leave acting long before she met Prince Harry, but this news still came as a surprise to some. Sure enough, along with the wedding announcement came word that Meghan was planning to quit acting to focus on her new royal obligations.
5. When they confirmed their relationship, it was really awkward: News of their relationship “officially” broke when Prince Harry’s communication secretary distributed a scathing rebuke of the press’ coverage of the couple.
6. Meghan loved dropping hints about the romance: It’s true—like a mushroom, their romance grew, at first, in the dark. But, boy, did Meghan like teasing the public with it! She documented her trips to London via Instagram, including visits to Buckingham Palace, and she was even pictured wearing necklaces inscribed with Harry’s initials and her own.
7. Meghan launched a clothing line… right after they announced their relationship: Meghan, in partnership with Canadian clothing store Reitmans, released a few designs just days after news of her relationship went public. Her clothes were hot sellers, too—they sold out almost immediately.
8. Meghan shut down her website: If you were a frequent reader of The Tig, you were probably disappointed when Meghan shut the whole blog down in 2017. Some claimed she did this for Prince Harry, but Meghan maintained that running the blog took too much work and she had other projects to focus on.
9. Meghan was invited to Pippa Middleton’s wedding somehow: Pippa Middleton’s wedding had a strange rule, if you weren’t married or engaged, you couldn’t attend. Yet, there was Meghan Markle at the reception. Did Pippa allow her to attend? Or did her “no bling, no bring” rule only apply to the ceremony?
10. Meghan’s sister called her a social climber: After the engagement was announced, Samantha Markle took to the tabloids to call her half-sister a “social climber.” She claimed Meghan only wanted to become a princess, and love had nothing to do with her engagement to Harry.
11. They were introduced by a mutual friend: Meghan and Harry may never have hit it off if it wasn’t for fashion designer Misha Nonoo. She was an old friend of Harry’s from school who introduced the two.
12. She interrupted his marriage proposal: When a woman sees a man drop to one knee, she usually knows what’s about to happen. Meghan was so excited when Harry took a knee that she actually cut him off mid-proposal and blurted out, “Can I say yes now?”
13. They didn’t know each other before they met: Even though Meghan had been on the hit show Suits, Harry had never actually seen her onscreen. Meghan, similarly, was completely unfamiliar with Harry and the rest of the Royal family
14. Harry knew she was “the one” immediately after meeting her: Sometimes it takes a little while for real sparks to fly in a relationship, but not with these two. As soon as Harry met Meghan, he instantly knew he wanted to spend his life with her.
15. The Royal family paid for the lavish wedding: It’s usually customary for the bride’s father to pay for a wedding, but when it came to the extraordinarily expensive Royal wedding, the Royal family financed the entire thing.
16. Harry must get special permission from the Royal family to marry under the Succession to the Throne Act: Because Harry is fifth in line for the throne, this is a legal requirement by which he must abide.
17. Nottingham Cottage at Kensington Palace is where Harry and Meghan moved to after the wedding: This is where they legally live, but you can be sure they do a heck of a lot of traveling together.
18. The date of the wedding had historical significance: The day Harry and Meghan were married was the same day that King Henry VIII’s wife, Ann Boleyn, was executed in 1536.
19. Meghan’s wedding dress was made by Israeli designer Inbal Dror: The famous fashion designer knew the wife of Prince Harry needed to outshine everyone at the wedding, and she did!
20. The Royal corgis love Meghan: Harry has said the Queen’s beloved corgis have never really softened up to him, but for whatever reason, they immediately took to Meghan, which definitely scored her major brownie points with the Queen.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle may just be two people in love, but they certainly live different lives!
Share this story with your friends below.